Thursday, April 03, 2003

"We should never give him a blank check."

The folk who are trying to convince me that John Edwards is the savior are either unintentionally funny or sad or both. The reasoning behind the Edwards bandwagon is bemusing: JE is from the South, the last three Democrat presidents have been from the South (lessee ... they gave us Vietnam escalation, malaise, and thank you Mister Clinton for your caretaker presidency ...), hence JE is the Man. Well he bothers me - the boring name, the way he has learned to Clinton-like gesture with his thumb up, his Chip Douglas haircut. Oh yeah - and he's one of those spineless senators who helped hand over the constitutional duty to declare war to the president last fall.

My brother is supporting Gary Hart for president, and I've been telling the Edwards people that I support Hart also - mostly just so they'll leave me alone. But if Hart runs, I may have to jump on his bandwagon. There's the Brush With Greatness Factor: I shook Hart's hand - the same hand that would soon do naughty things to Donna Rice - back in '86 in Grand Forks. And I'll be quoting this column from the Denver Post if I do jump on that Hart bandwagon.