Sunday, March 21, 2004

While You Were Out

St. Patrick's Day: Halloween with crummier costumes.

The Hold Steady album: pills and powder baby / powders and pills / we spent the night last night in Beverly Hills / there was this chick that looked like Beverly Sills / we got killed

The Hold Steady show: Craig from the Poster Show was there, as was Joel from Cosmic Slop. And Michael from Aesthetic Appartus, and Patty from the Minnesota Historical Society. Craig Finn gave me a quick hello. And Jim Walsh bought me an Old Style. Name-dropping central. The music was cool too.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale: "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)

Strippers: Their favorable rating at an all-time high.

Liquor Depot: Leiny for $15.99 a case? I have to raise my bookkeeping rates again? It's only March!

Grumpy's on Washington Avenue: Twenty-five percent tip.

Glenn's Barber Shop: All we talked about was beer and cigars.

Bobby Fischer Goes To War: USA! USA! USA!

St. Urho's Day: Bill Tuomala Goes To War (or) I Fought The Beer, And The Beer Won.

Sioux hockey: Hit first, ask questions later.

Gopher hockey: Peaking again at the right time. Does Pat Riley get a royalty check this year?

Mariucci and Xcel Arenas: Nice delays. I'm being sarcastic.

Charlie Rich: The white Bobby "Blue" Bland.

Bobby "Blue" Bland: The black Charlie Rich.

Saying "Bobby 'Blue' Bland": Almost as enjoyable as listening to him.

My poetry: Time for a comeback?

Cats: I've flip-flopped my position. Sue me.

John Kerry Minnesota Headquarters: Answer your damn phone!

Shutting Down My Computer For A Week: No more neck pain.

Shutting Off My Phone For A Week: Best idea since concocting alternate-universe Van Halen essay.

Hoops Pool: We get Mulligans, right?

Victory Sports Channel: Dear Carl Pohlad ... fuck off and die already. Thank you. ... (On second thought, contributing to denying me NCAA playoff hockey on TV isn't a capital offense. But doing so probably brings Pohlad fond memories of being a young banker who foreclosed on farms. I hope he has to build his stadium with his own damn money. You can't take it with you, you know.)