Sunday, September 17, 2006

Good Times

I deejayed Friday night at the opening for Poster Offensive 3 along with my friends Ben and Justin. Ryan, who used to own Let It Be Records, also joined us. It was nice to meet him - for years I worked downtown at a crappy corporate job and his store was just a block away and I escaped there many a time to flip through CDs and LPs as much-needed therapy.

For me, the experience Friday night was everything I could hope for: great tunes, beautiful posters, lots of good friends in attendance, hot chicks dressed hotly in abound, multiple kegs of beer (and when those were running out, a gal was cool enough to score us deejays a secret stash of Red Stripe.)

I also got to drop a Godfather II reference as originally I followed Ryan in the deejaying rotation, but at some point Justin took my spot. I vocally complained about "being treated like Fredo" and "being passed over." But I guess that's they way Pop wanted it.

Here are the songs I played (we were shooting for political/topical songs), not in the order I played 'em though:

The O'Jays - For the Love of Money
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
Little Steven - Fear
Hüsker Dü - Turn on the News
Run-DMC - Hard Times
The Stooges - 1969
The Who - The Seeker
Prince - Sign O' the Times
Pete Townshend - Give Blood
Bryan Ferry - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Graham Parker - Protection
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son
The Yardbirds - You're a Better Man Than I
War - Why Can't We Be Friends?
The Alarm - The Stand
Black Flag - Rise Above
The Kinks - Where Have All the Good Times Gone