Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Love TV

The ABC Family Channel recently added an HD channel to my Comcast lineup. So the other night while channel surfing I saw that an underappreciated sitcom, Grounded For Life, is now being shown on this channel (alas, not in HD, but the Family Channel is mostly overlooked while surfing the regular cable tier.) I liked this show a lot when it was originally aired but wasn't a religious viewer. Problem was as I recall is that it: Aired on Friday nights (aka a college hockey night), was bounced around on the schedule, and was dropped by Fox but then picked up by one of those second-tier networks like UPN or WB. The show was well cast. Consider that the Dad was played by the talented Donal Logue, and that his brother was played by Kevin Corrigan - who has merely appeared in both Goodfellas and Superbad.

Corrigan's character is my fave on the show. Consider this line of dialouge, when his character and his brother have had strippers in their bar and he's arguing to continue featuring the dancers despite the neighborhood protests:

"It brings out the First Amendment freaks, and they're big tippers."

I'm always looking for syndicated sitcoms to aid my syndicated sitcom addiction and finding Grounded For Life on cable is aces. (Yeah, I could Netflix 'em, but I'm a big fan of reruns on TV.)