Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Saturday Afternoon Movies

I have gotten back into the fall/winter/spring groove of watching DVD movies on Saturday afternoon with coffee. The past few weeks have been awesome:

Drugstore Cowboy - Junkies on the run. I hadn't seen this one in years, so long that I had forgotten that it is set in 1971. I haven't done a "my top ten favorite movies ever" list in years, but I know this one was in there at some point. Matt Dillon's best performance?

In Bruges - Hitmen on the run. Hard to sum this one up, but I laughed out loud repeatedly and it's not a comedy and is in fact sad and violent at other times. Everybody was brilliant in this, but Colin Farrell was a revelation: his facial expressions alone would get me to praise his performance.

The Wild Bunch - Bandits on the run. I saw this years ago but didn't get it for some reason. Now I do. Amazing in so many ways - especially the robberies and shootouts scenes - plus it stars William Holden. The funny thing is that I was prompted to add it to my Netflix queue after watching an ALF rerun on WGN last summer: ALF ends up in a neighbor's house surrounded by police. He tells them that he has hostages (he doesn't.) While on the phone with Willie, he worries that this situation will "end up like a Sam Peckinpah movie."