Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Tuesday Tuneage
Scandal Featuring Patty Smyth - "The Warrior"
1984

When it was announced last summer that the Twins' radio broadcasts would be moving to 96.3 FM K-Twin for the upcoming season, I checked out the station to see what kind of music it played. Then I found myself loving it. I'm not being ironic here, turns out I'm a big fan of the "Hot AC" radio format! In fact, I fear burning myself out on it and then I'll be back on Local Current and SiriusXM Underground Garage, where I won't hear "Hey Jealousy" by the Gin Blossoms, "What Do All The People Know" by the Monroes, "Electric Avenue" by Eddy Grant, or "Locked Out Of Heaven" by Bruno Mars.

Recently while driving a rental car, I heard "The Warrior" by Scandal on K-Twin and found myself cranking up the volume. When I got home, I had to fire up the song again on YouTube. The video is dumb and features weirdo dancing/performance art. But when Patty Smyth does the "shoot the pistols" gesture at the end? Always gets me. More importantly, this tune was a big hit during that magical radio summer of 1984. I was one of those guys up north smug in my knowing the difference between Patty Smyth and Patti Smith. These days, I don't think about it much and have reduced it to this shorthand:

Patti Smith was married to Fred "Sonic" Smith of the MC5, meaning he was a protopunk. Patty Smyth is married to John McEnroe, who in the seventies was a punk.

I've never heard Patti Smith on K-Twin. Maybe she should hire Nick Gilder and Mike Chapman?