Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tuesday Tuneage
Guns n' Roses - “Live and Let Die”
1991

Loft writing class summer of 2001, one evening a week, six sessions of learning a new form. After the last class I was pumped about what I’d learned and where I could take it. Feeling I deserved a reward, I headed a block over to Grumpy’s for what I thought would be a couple of beers and watching the Twins. I grabbed a seat at the bar, ordered a beer. The bartender poured a cold one and I sipped on it, daydreaming about my literary takeover. Then the perils of being around people slapped me down. As it did, as it does.

A tall overly-tan blonde gal in jeans and a gold top sat down next to me.
     “I’m Sheila from KQ, how are you?”
     “Fine.” (I don’t want to talk to anybody except the bartender.)
     “What’s your name?”
     “Bill.” (I should have lied, guess it wouldn’t do any good.)
     “I’m doing a promotion tonight, going to be asking some trivia questions and doing giveaways.”
     “Cool.” (It doesn’t sound cool. I just want to watch the game and have a couple of beers and be alone with my thoughts.)
She tapped me on the knee. “You’re going to help me.”
     (Fuck.)
     “So, where’s the ladies room?”
     “Over there to the right.”

She left for the ladies room. Suddenly the bar seemed too loud, the air conditioning too chilly, and the evening sunlight a little strange. Wanting anonymity and believing that this minor celebration of mine deserved it, I pounded my beer, grabbed my bookbag, and fast-walked to the front door. Out on the sidewalk, I pulled my hat low and made for my car, muttering about promises to myself broken. There was beer at home. Goddamn you, KQRS.