Saturday, February 21, 2004

Just Wait Until I Give You My Breathless Mp3 Player Assessment

The CD player for my home audio system has been on the blink. (Yes, I know "home audio system" sounds pretentious, but I also have a CD boombox in my writing room, a CD player in my car stereo, and a DiscMan-type CD player.)

As I'm in no hurry to get to Best Buy and face the pimply-faced kids who ask: "Have you considered getting a three-year warranty extension for this unit?", I've been without a functional CD player in my living room for a couple of weeks now.

Big deal! See, I have the SoundLink Wireless Audio Delivery System. I simply play discs or mp3s in my iMac, and it beams the sound via FM radio to my stereo receiver (and to the boombox in the writing room) (and to the FM radio in the bathroom if I had one - it's AM-only.)

The only reasons I'm even going to get a new CD player for my home audio system are: 1) The sound from the unit is a little better and more reliable than the FM radio signal, and 2) So I can sit on the floor in front of it playing deejay during late-night beer sessions under headphones. With technology going the way it is, I wonder if this will be the last home-unit CD player I buy.