Friday, August 17, 2007

My Favorite TV Commercials Of The Summer

I'd list more, but these three are easily my faves. No references to a product being "on steroids" in these:

1) Jack Mulcahy (I knew him from The Brothers McMullen) singing an ode to Snickers. (The one airing this summer is a variation on this, featuring the same actors and jingle.) I did mucho surfing on this earlier this summer and found out that (allegedly) Mulcahy wrote this jingle himself. The melody is not lifted from another song, but does remind some of the chorus of Elton John's "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters."

2) Sonic 99-Cent Root Beer Float. Alas, I couldn't find video of this. But it's the one where T.J. gives Pete a dollar to buy the float and tells him to "keep the change." If you're wondering how I know the actors names, I found out in this article that reveals they are improv actors who improvise the dialogue.

On a related note: the Sonic guys go through a convoluted explanation on how they will "bring it" to YouTube users who are making their own Sonic commercials.

3) Bruce Campbell singing "Hungry Like The Wolf" for Old Spice. Ahoy.