Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My 2007 Top Ten Netflix Movies That I Had Not Seen Before

I don't write about movies too well. You will likely never hear me use the term "cinematography" because not only do I have to slow down to spell it, I'm certain that I can't spit it out vocally without pausing halfway through. So here's my ten favorite movies I watched from the comfort of my bunker last year, and I'll use lots of words like "great," "brilliant" and "top-notch." Oh, and in 2007 I noticed that I am turning many Internet terms into verbs. This is the natural follow-up to the verb "google", i.e. "I'm gonna Netflix that" and "I Mapquested the address and found it no problem."

1) Superbad

2) The Prestige - I walked around for a week after seeing this, blabbing to all my friends on how "cool and awesome" it was. Everybody seemed to have it mixed up with some movie Edward Norton was in. Same director as Batman Begins!

3) Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf? - Dialogue so cruel and timeless that it was collected on a two-LP set. My Richard Burton fascination started here.

4) Zodiac - David Fincher can take me anywhere. Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, and Robert Downey Jr. all turn in top-notch performances. Each passing minute while I was watching this I was thinking: "Holy crap - how come nobody told me how great this movie is?"

5) A Scanner Darkly

6) The Taking of Pelham One Two Three - I had never heard of this one until I read that Quentin Tarantino referenced/nicked from it in Reservoir Dogs. Martin Balsam! Walter Fucking Matthau! A gem.

7) The Conversation - Gene Hackman brilliant as always in a Francis Ford Coppola masterpiece.

8) The Night of the Iguana - Oh Lord, how hot an "old" Ava Gardner (age 42) is here. Look at how her eyes dance and how she gleefully smiles as Richard Burton's character falls apart. Wow. I think I was prompted to watch this one soon after reading her quote on Frank Sinatra marrying Mia Farrow: "I always knew he would end up in bed with a little boy."

9) Lolita - Peter Sellers! James Fucking Mason! "It was your cherry pies." "Camp Climax."

10) The Upside of Anger - Netflix has this characterized as a romance, but Joan Allen portrays a drunk. As does Kevin Costner, and he holds his own. The Joan Allen slow burn rules.