Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Top 30 Rock Books I Own: #1 Spider Kiss

Note: Here's something new I'm going to try. Late last year I looked through my book shelves and made a list of the favorite thirty rock books that I own. I'll be listing these in the upcoming weeks. I didn't rank the books, but rather will be listing them chronilogically by date of publication. My commentary may be minimal on some of these books, especially the ones I haven't read in years.

Title: Spider Kiss
Author: Harlan Ellison
Year Originally Published: 1961
Edition I Own: Ace Edition, published October 1983 by Ace Books.

What They Say: 1) Wikipidea 2) BlogCritics 3) Greil Marcus in Mystery Train: "At once a roman a clef, a trash rock novel, a prescient version of Elvis: What Happened, and a clear look at the sources of American culture."

Tuomala's Attempt At A Take: Bought this at the B. Dalton in Grand Forks while in college. I have read it twice over the years and enjoyed it both times. I wish it was still published under its original title: Rockabilly.