Sunday, September 21, 2003

"I Am Full Of Sports News And Judgmental Opinions Today"

It's been a couple of years since I have checked in with Hunter S. Thompson's "Hey Rube" column at ESPN's website, but I sure am glad I did. In his latest column, after touching on the hoax of boxing, Jake Plummer and Mike Shanahan, Bush's slippage, Clark's rise, and comparing occupying Iraq to the Philadelphia Eagles (I think); he signs off with this poignant note:

I am widely known as a pure-bred, natural-born patriot and a lover of what this country used to stand for. The Statue of Liberty wasn't out there for nothing. Beware of War Mongers. They don't give a hoot in hell if you live or die. They are in this racket strictly for themselves. Mahalo.

In other columns he takes the president to task, repeatedly. It's as sweet as his rips at Hubert Humphrey in "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72." Give 'em hell, Doc.