Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Now I Have To Get Some New Material To Beat Into The Ground

Sioux hockey associate head coach Brad Berry is leaving the team for a coaching position with the Manitoba Moose of the AHL. Sad news for Sioux fans as Berry did a great job with the defense while on the job. Bummer for me personally also. I went to high school with Berry's wife and enjoyed my oh-so-slight two degrees of separation from the team. At our twenty-year reunion a few years back, she hugged me and I quipped later to friends that "it was like the whole Sioux team was hugging me, but she smelled much much better." I also spotted Berry the first night of the reunion ... I had joked to friends here in Minneapolis earlier that week that I was going to accost him and draw up some forechecks on bar napkins for the team to use in the upcoming season.

For some reason, the fact that he coached defense and wouldn't be in charge of the forechecking didn't enter into my wacky imaginary scheme.