Friday, May 16, 2008

Being An Accountant Back Then Must Have Been Hell

I've been writing and typing up some notes on an essay the past few weeks. Last week I thought my ramblings had turned into what would likely be two essays, this week I think that it could work as an essay in two parts. So tonight I am doing something I rarely ever do as a writer: I am making an outline for the essay, just like we were taught back in English class. Thing is, I'm actually using Roman numerals, just like we were taught back in English class. Generally, I mock Roman numerals as example #1 why the Roman Empire fell ... who the hell could ever do math with these?? (God bless those Arabs!) These days you only see Roman numerals in Super Bowls and credits of old movies (maybe new ones too, I haven't checked), but for whatever reason they make the outline I'm working on look like it has some authority.

On a related Roman note, after hearing Frank Pembeton speak Latin I thought it would be cool to learn Latin. File this under heady things I would like to do (but won't) like learn to be a good chess player.