Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'll Take (A) Manhattan

I had never had a Manhattan before, so tonight I mixed one up at my bar. I used rye, the orginal whiskey used in this cocktail. I don't have sweet vermouth on hand, so I used all dry vermouth instead and hence made a Dry Manhattan. Verdict? It's dry, though the rye flavor stands out nicely. (Oh bourbon, you used to be such a steady friend. Now you're "that whiskey that's much preferable to Canadian but not what I want either.")

Oh, and I used an old fashioned glass instead of a cocktail glass (acceptable, at least according to Wikipedia.) I need to get some sweet vermouth and see how a true Manhattan tastes.

As for now it's on to a rye and ginger (always get your mixers before heading up north, I learned this the hard way over this past long weekend ... though drinking rye on the rocks with a splash of water wasn't exactly toughing it) and cracking open Nixonland, which I just got from the library today.