Monday, May 19, 2008

"They Smile In Your Face ..."

Last night while watching season three of Homicide, I practically lept from my seat and then yelled: "He stabbed Pembleton in the back!!"

A couple of weeks ago, I speculated that this might happen: "If Pembleton's fate is anything like mine, he'll be lied to and stabbed in the back by management." What I saw last night was the Homicide version of what happened to me about fifteen years ago:

One time I went to a propaganda gathering and while I was sucking on an imported brew and yukking it up with a fellow coworker about The Simpsons, my boss came up and made it a point to tell me that I had put a wrong number on some report and that the big shots had quizzed him intensely on it in a meeting that morning. I reminded him that he had told me last week over the phone to change that number to the one I used. He emphatically denied this, and funny - he brought the whole issue up while HIS BOSS was standing right by us, making sure I would be implicated in the fuckup.

This is really quite eerie to me, with the similarity of both Frank and I having a superior lie to his superior about us right in front of us.