Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Fast Times Selecting In-Your-Face Candidates

The Presidential Candidate Selector site (link sent to me via Chris at Incoming Signals) gave me the following results:

1. Kucinich, Cong. Dennis, OH - Democrat (100%)   
2. Kerry, Senator John, MA - Democrat (92%)   
3. Gephardt, Cong. Dick, MO - Democrat (86%)   
4. Dean, Gov. Howard, VT - Democrat (85%)   
5. Edwards, Senator John, NC - Democrat (82%)   
6. Lieberman Senator Joe, CT - Democrat (79%)   
7. Moseley-Braun, Former Senator Carol, IL - Democrat (79%)   
8. Graham, Senator Bob, FL - Democrat (74%)   
9. Sharpton, Reverend Al - Democrat (69%)   
10. Libertarian Candidate (29%)   
11. Bush, George W. - US President (10%)   
12.  Phillips, Howard - Constitution (-2%)   
13.  LaRouche, Lyndon H. Jr. - Democrat (-7%)   

I took the test real quick-like, pretending I was answering questions over the phone with a pollster. I should manually adjust the results to demote Gephardt for his disdain for the Constitution. Plus, I'd bump Dean upward, mainly because the Strib described him as having an "in-your-face speaking style."

Those of you who know me have the misfortune of hearing me declare "in your face" at least a dozen times a day. I first learned the phrase from a classic episode of Hill Street Blues featuring Forest Whitaker as Floyd Green, who when asked why he had killed someone simply stated: "He was in my face." Whitaker, of course, also played Charles Jefferson in Fast Times At Ridgemont High, who prompted Mike Damone to utter another fave of mine: "Is that your little brother? He's a good-lookin' kid!"