Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Wonder Years Update!

I know I am prone to hyperbole, but The Wonder Years is truly one of the greatest TV shows ever and doesn't show up enough in syndication. I remember when in its early years, I was a fanatical follower; while my roommates preferred Thirtysomething. Had a conversation with anybody about that show lately? Didn't think so. But you bring up The Wonder Years and you'll instantly be in the best conversation of your day. Try it at a water cooler near you!

Anyway, I am here to report that in Minneapolis Channel 41 (Channel 20 on my Comcast digital) is showing The Wonder Years on weeknights at 9:00 pm. Two episodes back-to-back. My brother has checked in from Denver and says it's on the ION network (which I found out that KXPM Channel 41 is part of) on weeknights for an hour.

I stumbled upon the show tonight and immediately threw all plans out the window. The first episode dealt with the last day of seventh grade for Kevin Arnold. The funniest part was the final day of gym class. I missed the beginning of his lecture, but I believe Coach Cutlip takes credit for turning the gym class into men:

"When you look back, you'll know who to thank. Me, Ed Cutlip. Human being, man, educator."

Then he starts to bawl. The class is all embarrassed, but then one kid vomits. Cutlip regains his composure and orders somebody to get a mop.

"As for the rest of you, sixty laps. Six-oh. No shirking!"

Classic Cutlip!

Thursday night is going to be a challenge. Throw away a chance to see the second nightly episode of The Wonder Years just to see a portion of the first period of the Wild game which starts at 9:30 pm? Geez ... oh well, thank goodness it's a road game for the Wild (by the way, Brad May is a total butthead) and they're playing on the West coast and I'll get to see at least one episode of Kevin Arnold and friends.