Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What A Horrible Place To Work, Part 23

In the mid-nineties I took a business trip to Chicago. The company handled booking my flight. I flew into O'Hare in the morning, took a cab downtown for the meeting, grabbed lunch, and then took a cab back to O'Hare.

While my expenses were paid in full, a copy of my expense report was sent back to me with some scribblings from my boss's boss in red ink. I was being scolded for not taking the less-expensive train from O'Hare to and from downtown. I was a little dumbfounded: A) Nobody at the company had given me any info on this train, which I only knew about from The Blues Brothers because it ran right by Elwood's apartment, and B) I wasn't an expert on mass transit in major American cities.

I wrote a note back to the bosses. I think I was wise (?) enough to bring up that nobody informed about my mass transit options, but know for sure I did write this: "Who Watches The Watchmen??"