Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My 2010 Top Ten Netflix Movies That I Had Not Seen Before

1) The Long Goodbye - Robert Altman reimagines the private eye genre with Elliot Gould brilliantly wisecracking his way through the film as Marlowe.

2) Up In The Air - While not a comedy, I had to hit pause and leave the room as I was laughing so hard:

Ryan Bingham: You know that moment when you look into somebody's eyes and you can feel them staring into your soul and the whole world goes quiet just for a second?
Natalie Keener: Yes.
Ryan Bingham: Right. Well, I don't.


3) Crazy Heart - "Son, I'll play sick, drunk, divorced, and on the run." I now want to watch everything that Jeff Bridges has ever made.

4) Shutter Island - You know Leonard DiCaprio is a pretty damn good actor when Mark Ruffalo and Ben Kingsley are in the same movie, it's directed by Martin Scorsese, but DiCaprio's performance is the thing that sticks with you most.

5) Anatomy Of A Murder - If you're facing a murder charge that's being prosecuted by George C. Scott, you want James Stewart as the small-town attorney defending you. Fun fact: The judge is played by the real-life guy who said "Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?" to Joseph McCarthy.

6) The Last Detail - Looked into this one after hearing Mulder reference it in a smart remark thrown Scully's way in an episode of The X-Files. Jack Nicholson, Otis Young, Randy Quaid, and a road trip. And lots of Schlitz!

7) Moon - Sam Rockwell. And Sam Rockwell. What more could you ask for?

8) Big Fan - If you've ever referred to the sports team that you cheer for - but have never played for - as "we," then you have to watch this one.

9) Hot Tub Time Machine - Funnier when you pour yourself a couple of drinks while watching it. I love that the characters' assumed knowledge of time travel all comes from time travel movies. ("I write Stargate fan fiction. This is my bread and butter, man!") And that it references The Drive in its butterfly effect.

10) Sexy Beast - Ben Kingsley is terrifying. I wanna drink beer with Ray Winstone.