Friday, May 16, 2003

Fun With Shadowy Science

I was checking out the lunar eclipse tonight from the dark of my apartment while listening to a recently-acquired copy of Robert Plant's latest album. The disc didn't sound that great while driving around in my car yesterday, but weirdly it was the perfect soundtrack for a lunar eclipse. And the disappearing moon got me to thinking: What does the Flat Earth Society think about all of this? And here comes the answer - from the late president of the FES, Charles K. Johnson:

The moon shines by its own light and is not eclipsed by the earth. Rather, lunar eclipses are caused by an unseen dark body occasionally passing in front of the moon.

Works for me! I grew up in North Dakota. Trust me, the earth is flat. I can probably use the Bible to prove it, too.