Friday, March 05, 2004

Sipping From The MacNaughton Cup

Congrats to my (and yours too, of course) University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, for winning the WCHA regular season and capturing the MacNaughton Cup. My math is unofficial, but I believe this is UND's 13th regular season title which puts them at the top of current WCHA members. (Again unofficial - I think Minnesota and Denver both have 10.) The Sioux have also won 5 of the last 8 MacNaughtons. Nice.

But. We Sioux fans don't measure success by regular seasons. The boys in white and green need to go on and win the NCAA title ... where we also lead Minnesota and Denver and Wisconsin - they have five titles, we have seven. Go Sioux!

Oh - and a couple of weeks ago I was quizzed as to the Sioux name. I was asked whether I thought the name should be changed. "I say keep it," I said. Why, I was asked. "I'm afraid if they changed it, I would then have to surrender all of my Neil Young & Crazy Horse albums," I said.