Monday, June 07, 2004

Game Seven

I was hoping to watch game seven of the Stanley Cup finals in the air-conditioned comfort of the CC Club. But I'm sitting here at home still debiting and crediting, though I do have some cold Premos going. As I type, Tampa Bay leads Calgary 1-0 after one period.

Most astute hockey fans I know are cheering for Calgary, for various reasons. Me, while far from astute, am also cheering for the Flames as I caught a few of their upset wins in the preliminary rounds and liked their energy, not to mention the underdog factor. Plus they have two of my favorite college hockey players of the past five years - Mike Commodore out of North Dakota and Jordan Leopold out of Minnesota. Finally, throw in the three Finns on their roster to zero for Tampa Bay.

A few random notes:

- The Tampa Bay coach looks like Ron Silver.

- I liked it better when the NHL home teams wore white, not dark, uniforms. Is this a temporary move or a permanent one?

- Barry Melrose, like Pat Buchanan, needs to drop the pinstripe suits.