Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Why In The World Does Stuff Like This Bother Me?

It's as perplexing to me as saying "an historic moment": When people say "I graduated high school" or "I graduated college." I say "I graduated FROM high school" and "I graduated FROM college." (Note: I don't emphasize the FROM while speaking, I just capped it here to note the difference.) Not that I have anything against those who don't use "from" - it's just that I didn't notice people saying "I graduated college" until pretty recently. (Probably in the past five years or so.)

Maybe it's probably some regional thing. Like how I can never say "back East" because I've never lived or been in the East, so it's nowhere for me to go back to. I say "out East."

So are these habits symptoms of some sort of idiosyncratic Midwestern dialect? Or is it just me?