Friday, March 02, 2007

Old Guy Tries To Keep Up With Kids These Days

My main man Mark (who I've been meaning to email regarding Be Bop Deluxe for a couple of weeks) has "tagged" me about a "meme." Hmmm. Being old and all, I'm still not sure what a meme is. That word is one of those new ones beyond me and when I see or hear it, I get a blanked-out feeling in my brain like I do when I hear terms like "fark" or "postmodern."

But hey, I'm game. From reading Mark's post, I've deduced that I'm supposed to: post the fifth through eighth sentences on page 123 of the imaginary book nearest me. That book happens to be Outhouse To Penthouse To Rejection Slips From Penthouse: The Writing Life of Bill Tuomala, written by Paula Belmont and Ari McKee:

It was around this time that he came up with strange, self-serving monikers. Aparrently pulled from sports broadcasts, Altman movies, consulting firms' PR materials (and many many more sources); they were both cryptic and arrogant. Hence acquitances would hear Tuomala refer to himself as: "The best money player in the game;" "The pro from Dover;" "Your last, best, option;" "The only bookkeeper that matters;" and "Billy Talent." Even weirder, he would insist to anyone he met that he was the vice-presidential candidate on the Democratic ballot for 2008's national election ... "the Obama/Tuomala ticket."

I would tag other people I know, but I have the feeling that the vast majority of my friends would say "what the fuck is a meme??" So I'll instead tag five imaginary writer friends of mine: Jim Steranko, William Shakespeare, Joan Didion, S.E. Hinton, and Harlan Ellison.