Sunday, August 19, 2007

One Reason Why I Choose The Rolling Stones Over The Beatles, Always

"Paint It, Black"

I just listened to it three times in a row and it's the creepiest song to hit #1 on the pop charts. Yeah, Brian Jones played a sitar but Charlie Watts is the star instrument-wise. I'm not a big lyrics guy, because when generally when somebody tells me how great an artist's lyrics are it's a sign that said artist has a crappy rhythm section and also can't sing. But the lyrics in "Paint It, Black" are so perfectly ... dunno how to describe them ... I guess they read like how you would imagine lyrics by the Stones being if they were truly evil:

I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes


and

I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby it just happens every day


and

I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky