Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Now What Do I Do?

Today I finished watching the entire series run of Homicide: Life on the Street. I started with it exactly eight months ago and have done the math: 122 episodes, meaning that I averaged viewing an episode every other day. I loved this show so much: the characters, the writing, the dialogue. No wonder this is only the second show where I had dreams that I was part of the show, or to be more precise: I had dreams where the show was reality and I was part of the homicide squad. (The only other show I've dreamt about in this way? The White Shadow, of course.)

Tonight I watched Homicide: The Movie, which came out nine months after the series' end. "The one case so important, every detective is back." Stan Bolander, Kay Howard and Frank Pembleton all return, and the Bayliss/Pembleton umm, partnership/friendship is finally reconciled.

It's too bittersweet of an evening to write about this show in any way of quality, instead I'll drop a couple of quotes from the final season and the movie:

"I'm too damn sober." - John Munch

"Guys like you and me? Work is where we shine." - Stan Bolander