Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Home Taping Will Kill The Recording Industry!

Senator Orrin Hatch wants to destroy my iMac. I haven't gotten any writing done all day because I have been wondering: Who the fuck downloads Orrin Hatch songs?

Another distraction was my curiosity to hear the new single by The Steve Jobs Experience, because Apple has proclaimed that: "Rock and roll will never die. It is, however, being reborn." (Hey Senator Hatch - why not instead destroy ad people, especially copywriters?) Turns out Apple isn't making music, they're just making money off of it.

This column by Mark Morford of SFGate.com has a nice take on the iTunes Music Store. I had been wondering how much money artists make off of pay-per-download systems, Morford has his doubts that they're making any. And he points out that the Apple selection has room for improvement. He's right. Case in point: prior to my checking it out, a pal of mine proclaimed his satisfaction because everything by Rush was there. Personally, I found the Canadian selection lacking: nothing by April Wine, Triumph, or Streetheart. Booooo. You can't get the Great American Rock 'n' Roll Single either - "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen is not to be found. Hey, there's always LimeWire.

On a sweet note, the nation's libraries are still open and legal. Go borrow a book today.