Saturday, October 20, 2007

Gopher Radio Announcers As Inept As The Team On The Field

I listened to the last minutes of 1-AA Football Championship Subdivision squad North Dakota State knocking off Minnesota today on WCCO-AM. The crew on the radio was laughable. In the short time I listened, I heard the following:

- Darrell Thompson suggested that the Gophers might be able to drive down the field and force overtime. Thing is, they trailed by six points at the time. Was he banking on a missed extra point?

- Dave Lee questioned why the Bison would throw the ball on third-and-nine. They were near midfield at the time, but weren't in field goal range.

- Dave Mona was quick to go after the officials and call a roughing the punter call as questionable, though to his credit he did reverse his stance after seeing the replay.

I still have a soft spot for Darrell Thompson though. Years ago when he played at the UM, somebody at the office I worked at said they had seen him on Nicollet Mall during the lunch hour. I immediately piped up with a Fast Times quote: "Wow! Does he really live here? I thought he just flew in for games!"