Thursday, December 20, 2007

Best Flip-Flop Ever

I used to be against light rail because I took an Economics of Transportation course in business school and the professor was against it. But, as my roomies used to politically incorrectly joke around with back in those days: "He's not from this country and is not to be trusted." (Say that enough these days and you could be on the short list for the GOP presidential nomination.) When light rail came to Minneapolis, I ended up being against it because: 1) I never felt the need to go between downtown Minneapolis and the Maul of Amerika, and 2) It would invariably slow my commute from a St. Paul client (now a former client) to a near-Hiawatha-Avenue client.

But I now fully support light rail.

The good news is that the light rail hasn't killed anybody yet this month. (Shouldn't the saying now be: "In case I get hit by a light rail train" instead of "bus"?)

The better news is that once that Northstar Commuter Rail is up and running, I will never have to spend a holiday sober again. Here will be my new way to get to my sister's house:

- #4 bus from my neighborhood to downtown Mpls
- Northstar from downtown to Coon Rapids
- As I am told there aren't cabs up there, either my sister or brother-in-law "get" to pick me up at the train station.

Reverse course to get back home. My hands will never touch the wheel! First trains to run November 2009 - just in time for the holidays. Do commuter trains have bar cars?