Friday, January 28, 2005

Life During Wartime

Man, I have always always always despised the Talking Heads. But tonight on my area's new music station, The Current, Mark Wheat played an absolute haunting and stunning version of the Heads' "Life During Wartime" by Minneapolis heroes The Rank Strangers. I gotta admit, the lyrics are pretty cool.

I did some websurfing and have come to believe that the Rank Strangers' version of the song was only released as the b-side of the seven-inch of "Ana Voog Is Sleeping" in 1998. I'll have to hit the indie record stores soon and see if by chance any copies are still out there.

I may write more about The Current after a couple more weeks of listening. One good thing: Hearing Mary Lucia's voice again. One bad thing: "The Current" sounds like a name of a pro roller-hockey team.