Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Ladies And Gentlemen, Look At That. You Can't See That, I'm On Radio."

I watched Slap Shot again last night and while this could have been a long post, I'll keep it to a couple of things.

1) This movie features three of the great character actors:

- Strother Martin, who you may also know as the captain in Cool Hand Luke, as Chiefs GM Joe McGrath.

- M. Emmet Walsh, who you may also know as Bryant in Blade Runner, as affable sportswriter Dickie Dunn.

- Paul Dooley, who you also may know as Cheryl's Dad in Curb Your Enthusiasm, as the Hyannisport announcer who utters the legendary lines: "The fans are standing up to them. The security guards are standing up to them. The peanut vendors are standing up to them! If I could get down there, I'd be standing up to them!" (His "you can't see that, I'm on radio" line is incorrectly referenced in the ESPN link below as being said by the Chiefs home radio voice.)

2) ESPN Page 2 has a great "reel life vs. real life" breakdown of the film, much of which was lifted from actual minor league occurrences.